Thursday 31 January 2013

Sir Ranulph Fiennes


Feature by Monty Saul (Mrs Handbag)

Hi ya,

Now I know you will all have had those packing nightmares of ‘what shall I take? Will I need a posh frock?’ but imagine packing for true survival aka the Antarctic in Winter….forget ‘will my underwear match’ and think how many layers of thermals and, even more importantly what food will fit on the sledge? 


To our absolute delight and, I have to say, not a little pride, Sir Ranulph Fiennes is carrying 60 kilos of our Sharpham pearled spelt on his next expedition. His nutritionist has advised him that it is the most fuel-efficient food he can carry……just what I tell customers in the shop if they happen to make the big mistake of asking me ‘What exactly is spelt?’ . By the time I’ve finished they are usually backing away with a slightly glazed expression (but usually clutching box of said Spelt – I mean, a girl’s got to make the sale after all) but knowing how amazing this ancient, delicious grain is. We will follow his progress with huge interest (not forgetting that he is the staggering age of 78)


At the other extreme of spelt eating, Roger and I are trying to whittle away the Christmas extra poundage by cutting back our calorie intake – the new cinnamon and apple porridge for breakfast (just a small portion) and then finishing the day with spelt and walnut flakes plus blueberries, a splash of cranberry juice and a tiny dollop of low fat crème fraiche..  ..our way of celebrating Farmhouse Breakfast Week (but all day!)


Wore the bonkers purple and yellow Beney shooting socks yesterday that I had ‘forgotten’ to put in Fred’s Christmas stocking – we’d been invited for a treat day out shooting which turned into a mighty mud-fest in sideways rain. 


Surprisingly, the birds were pretty fast and super high (we’re talking the feathered variety here by the way) so, aided by some cracking cocktails and a rousing chorus of Happy Birthday to our hostess,  a good day was had by all. I turned down the chance to shoot – the last time I tried, I was given a gun with a very sensitive trigger (!) and managed to blow a yard- wide crater in front of the chap next down the line….
My Big Birthday approaches this week-end – keep your fingers crossed for me that my knees hold out for some serious boogying – I’m not going down without a fight!

Xxtalk soon

Mrs Handbag
Monty Saul

Ps, If you’re passing by, the cinnamon spelt porridge is on the Harlequin café breakfast menu this week ..yum


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for Visiting

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...